In this project, I wanted the player to explore the rooms and puzzles, without me holding their hands. For this to work, it was crucial that the player got feedback when interacting with objects. Not only when solving a puzzle, but when figuring out the mechanics of the puzzles as well.
I spent a great deal of time finding and tweaking the sounds I added to the game. It was very important for me that the sounds would feel like they really belonged since I wanted the player to be able to focus on solving the puzzles.
I worked with three different sounds topics in this project.
[Drawer opens, button clicked, etc.]
[Background music, fire burning, etc.]
Some puzzles triggers changes in a different part of the room. Unlike real escape rooms, I had the advantage of being able to use short video sequences, to show the player what happened.
Several playtests occurred during the process of making this game. The main focus on these playtests was the puzzles themselves. Did the player understand the mechanics, how to solve it and what the progress was.
The other focus area was on how the player moved around in the game. Which hints were too hidden, what puzzle didn't make sense on where it was placed, etc.
I didn't have time to fix all of these design flaws, but you can read about a few of them in the next section.